After getting the diagnosis of lipedema, you are probably overwhelmed by the fact that lipedema can't be cured and by its time-consuming therapy. It can feel like your lipedema, and its treatment determines your whole life. Lipedema treatment often takes time until you notice first success, and it can be hard to stay motivated and continue your therapy.
Therefore, self-management has become an important part of lipedema treatment. Taking a leading role and responsibility in the treatment is required to achieve changes. Realistic and achievable expectations and goal setting are important to prevent disappointment and to help you realize the success you achieve. In the end you will clearly see the benefits:
- Self-management can improve your general health and quality of life.
- It can improve your self-esteem and reduces your lipedema symptoms.
- It ensures the success of your therapy in the long-term.
Self-management requires a deep understanding of your disease, especially of how pain develops. When you understand lipedema and understand the treatment principles, you will find it easier to cope with your disease and to discuss with your healthcare professional (HCP), or health insurance.
Here are few examples of how you can contribute to managing your lipedema:
- Regular exercise improves your lipedema symptoms and overall well-being and contributes to successful weight management.
- Eating healthy also supports successful weight management.
- Understanding how compression therapy works and how to apply it on your own.
- A good skin routine helps your skin to recover from compression therapy and can prevent skin irritations.
- Joining a self-help group to stay motivated and connect with other women with lipedema.
At the same time, it’s important to know when and where to ask for professional support. Our HCP Finder can support you to find trained HCPs close to your location.
Self-management allows you to take a leading role in the treatment of your disease. It helps to maintain therapy success and to improve your overall well-being.
Up nextSurgeries for Lipedema
Choose the Support You Need
Discover Our Services and Get the Help You Need
Don’t sit around and go through this in silence. Share your story. Doing that was a real eye-opener for me
Claudia Lymphedema patient