Nighttime Compression Choices
Nighttime compression choices are varied, there are
- channeled foam garments
- unique flat knit garments made with cool max fibers (for example - JOBST® Relax products).
Nighttime compression needs to be designed to deliver a much lower compression than daytime compression. It is also important that it does not disrupt sleep patterns and the garment have a textured surfaced to assist with lymph flow.
Nighttime Compression Product Studies
While there have not been many studies on nighttime compression the studies that have been done have shown positive results for patients;
- “Wearing compression 24 hours a day will help rebound oedema. Garments worn in bed overnight need to be comfortable, cool, and easy to do.”2
- “Nighttime compression reduced swelling and was associated with less pain and better sleep”3
There may be others who just do not want to wear a day garment or are unable to due to their work environment - nighttime compression then becomes the only compression for maintenance. Always make sure to select a nighttime compression garment that is designed to be worn overnight.
Key features to look for in an overnight garment:
- Garment is designed with a compression that is safe to be worn overnight.
- Garment is comfortable and will not disrupt your sleep cycle.
- Garment should have a textured surface that will assist with lymph flow.
Learn more about nighttime compression in our Night-Time Garments article.
1 British Journal of Community Nursing. Relax in comfort and sleep well: using night-time compression to avoid recurrent oedema. Br J Comm Nurs 2017; 22(10, Suppl 1), S1–24.
2 Whitaker J. Making night-time compression a comfortable reality. In: British Journal of Community Nursing. Relax in comfort and sleep well: using nighttime compression to avoid recurrent oedema. Br J Comm Nurs 2017; 22(10, Suppl 1), S1–24
3 Whitaker J. Lymphoedema management at night: views from patients across five countries. Br J Community Nurs. 2016b;21(S10):S22-S30
Get Support From Others With Your Condition
It’s important to know you’re not alone. Join our private community and feel empowered by connecting with other lymphedema or lipedema patients.
Don’t sit around and go through this in silence. Share your story. Doing that was a real eye-opener for me
Claudia Lymphedema patient